What kind of toothbrush should I use?
We hear this question a lot, and we want to help you get the most out of your home dental care routine! Toothbrushing is as much about technique as it is about your toothbrush. We can help you choose one that is right for you.
Things to look for in a brush:
- Electric toothbrushes are best! At TFD, we love Philips Sonicare and Oral-B brands!
- Always use a SOFT bristled brush- medium or hard are too abrasive to your gums
- A two minute timer- incorporated in your brush or something on the side
- Change your brush head or brush every 3-4 months
- Always get a new brush after you've been sick
The bristles need to be soft. If they are too firm, you can damage your delicate gum tissue. Never use a denture brush or a hard-bristled toothbrush on your teeth.
When you brush, use the tips of the bristles. Those are what do the work of cleaning your teeth. Pressing hard will not clean your teeth better and can actually hurt your gums.
In addition, your toothbrush (or brush head if using an electric/power brush) should be changed out approximately every three months! Those bristles collect germs, and you don't want to be spreading them around your mouth when brushing your teeth. Store your toothbrush in an aerated location to ensure it is able to dry after use.