Root Canals in Hermitage, PA
Like many people, you probably don't look forward to having a root canal.
We completely understand that reaction, but we also know that root canal treatment does not have to be a stressful experience for anyone.
At Thomas Family Dentistry, we’re committed to the idea that all it takes to have a pleasant dental experience is friendly, skilled professionals who always put your needs first. Dr. Deanna Thomas, Dr. Noelle Peters, and our team are proud of the great reputation we have earned for performing root canals that are efficient, comfortable, and stress-free.
Why You Need a Root Canal
Anyone who’s experienced an infected root canal knows just how painful the experience can be. That type of intense pain is a good indication that something serious is happening in your tooth that needs to be taken care of immediately.
Deep inside of your tooth is the root canal itself, which contains nerve and soft tissue. Injury or tooth decay can lead to damage and infection of the nerve. If the infection is not treated, you will experience continued pain, swelling, and even tooth loss.
When you have a root canal, we gently but thoroughly remove the damage and carefully clean and seal the tooth. In some cases, we may choose to use an antibiotic to make sure the infection is completely under control. In the majority of root canal cases, we will recommend a dental crown to strengthen and protect the tooth.
Comfortable, Stress-Free Dental Care
We’re sensitive to the fact that dental visits for a treatment like root canal therapy can lead to anxiety for many people.
At Thomas Family Dentistry, your complete comfort is one of our top priorities, and we have solutions that will help make your treatment easy and stress-free. If at any time you are concerned or anxious, please don't hesitate to bring it to our attention. We will make sure to tailor your treatment to help make your experience as pleasant as possible. We work with one of the most innovative suppliers of root canal products - Dentsply - to ensure you always receive the most modern and comfortable care.
If you experience dental anxiety and would like a little help to relax, we can prescribe a calming medication to be taken when you first arrive at our office. This allows you to feel very calm when it’s time for your treatment.
Post Operative Instructions for Root Canal Treatment
- Though some of the root canal procedures we perform are completed in 1 appointment, root canal therapy may take more than 1 appointment to complete.
- Since anesthetic has been used, parts of your mouth may be numb for several hours after the appointment. Avoid chewing and hot beverages until the numbness has worn off.
- Between appointments, a temporary filling is placed to protect the tooth. It is common (and not a problem) for a small portion of your temporary filling to wear away or break off. If the entire filling falls out, please call our office and set up a time to come in and have it replaced.
- It is normal to experience some discomfort for several days after a root canal procedure. To control discomfort, take any pain medication prescribed by the dentist as recommended. If antibiotics are prescribed, continue to take them as directed, even if all signs and symptoms of infection are gone. Taking ibuprofen before the numbness wears off can greatly reduce post-operative pain.
- To protect the tooth and keep the temporary filling in place, avoid eating hard or sticky food (such as gum), and try to chew on the other side of your mouth. Continue to brush and floss normally. Usually, the last step in a root canal is the placement of a crown or permanent filling in the tooth. A crown will protect the tooth from breaking in the future.
- If you have signs of swelling or increasing pain, or if you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our office.
Please Contact Our Office for More Information
Our soft-touch dentistry and low-stress approach to our patients make each visit comfortable and easy. We are not only experienced professionals, but also positive people who are dedicated to providing you with the personalized, gentle care you deserve.
Are you ready to take control of your own oral health care by finding a provider who truly has your best interest at heart? Please call our Hermitage, PA dental office, and we’ll be happy to arrange a convenient consultation so you can learn more about our unique approach to dental care.