Do you feel like every visit to your Dentist's you are being informed to floss more? Do you floss frequently but your gums still seem to bleed? Flossing seems simple, but there is a trick to the technique that will give you the best results for your gums. Here's how we do it-
Technique is Key in Flossing. Follow this Step by Step:
- Grab a long strand of floss the length of your forearm
- Wrap the floss around your middle finger so you can use your pointer finger and thumb to grab and control the floss
- Place the floss through the contact of the two teeth and wrap the floss completely around the back tooth first
- Gently move the floss up and down 3-4 times, assuring you get below the gumline until you feel pressure
- Move the floss forward to wrap around the other tooth, and repeat step 4.
- Repeat for all contacts between all teeth
Tips and Tricks for Flossing:
- Start in the same place each time- this allows you to create a habit, ultimately making you quicker with each use!
- Can't reach the back? Try the floss piks, interdental piks, soft piks, etc.
- These can be found at Walmart, any drug store, Dollar General, etc.
- Water piks can be used in conjunction with traditional floss, but should not be used solely.
- Only floss the teeth you want to keep!